In looking at some of those ways I'd say your simplification is completely
warranted.  The curves still look very smooth after you've removed 73% of
the nodes.

I agree with others that storage is cheap and saving space in the DB may not
be that important.  More nodes make for smoother, more detailed ways but
after a certain density is reached more nodes offer diminishing
returns.  Also when nodes are very dense on a way it becomes hard to select
said way with out zooming very far in.    Clearly there's no need to
systematically remove excess nodes on already imported data, but if
simplifying a way makes your editing easier and doesn't reduce the
detail/smoothness (clearly this is a judgement call) I say go for it.

Zeke

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Alan Mintz
<alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net<alan_mintz%2b...@earthlink.net>