On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Mike N. <nice...@att.net> wrote:
>> On a smaller scale, I don't know.  Pretty much all the TIGER data I've
>> ever seen is surpassed in quality by local county/state data.  So if
>> you're going to import county by county, why bother with TIGER?
>
> Not all states / counties release their GIS data under an OSM-compatible
> license.

Well, that's why I said I don't know.  Maybe there is a county in the
US where TIGER is the best we've got, but I don't know of any.

> I would love to have just the 2010 Tiger Geo-diff, which would
> include all the new subdivisions.  Just adding them manually would be much
> faster than trying to survey them one at a time.

Not sure what you mean by this.

If you mean that a mapper would be presented with a new street, which
doesn't exist in OSM, overlayed on top of an aerial, and could hit
"yes, import", "no, don't import", or "mark for further research",
yeah, that'd be nice.  But then, the nice thing would be the software,
not TIGER.  I'd much rather use that software on the shapefiles
provided by my county.