On 4/6/2011 5:59 PM, Alan Mintz wrote:
At 2011-03-28 12:40, Ian Dees wrote:
With that in mind I think it's important that the exit_to tag only
include verbage on the sign (and not stuff we make up).

IMO, not all the verbage on the sign. I've been tagging name as the name
of the exit according to the relevant authority (e.g. CalTrans in CA). I
accept that people now want to change this to use exit_to instead of
name. However, some exit signs also have destination information, like
the name of the city or local tourist attraction. This secondary
information I've been putting in a towards tag. I would also like to
separate the name into a root and a directional component. e.g.

[snip]
This seems overly complex. The reason for including the text is so routers can tell the driver to take the exit marked [foo]. What benefit is there in separating street names/route numbers from other destinations?

NE2 seems to have already jumped ahead with
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/7787398 - "change name to
exit_to and speed limits to mph".
There seems to be clear consensus in this thread, so I decided to make the change (for one- and two-digit Interstates) along with changing obvious km/h to mph issues.

> Perhaps he can comment on exactly what
he did so I know what I have left to do in SoCal, where I've been the
primary tagger of on/offramps.

All I've done was change name to exit_to, except in about eight cases where both tags were present. There was only one of these in California, on northbound I-5 in Anaheim, where one of the tags was the street name and the other was Anaheim; I changed it to exit_to=[street name]; Anaheim.

Most of the other (non-California) cases of both fields being present were where someone had erroneously assumed exit_to was for routes with a 'to' on the sign.

How do we ask the renderers to recognize the new schema?

Why would we want the default rendering to display exit_to? The whole point of the change was so the renderer will know whether the interchange has a name to display.