At 2011-04-06 15:26, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
On 4/6/2011 5:59 PM, Alan Mintz wrote:
At 2011-03-28 12:40, Ian Dees wrote:
With that in mind I think it's important that the exit_to tag only
include verbage on the sign (and not stuff we make up).

IMO, not all the verbage on the sign. I've been tagging name as the name
of the exit according to the relevant authority (e.g. CalTrans in CA). I
accept that people now want to change this to use exit_to instead of
name. However, some exit signs also have destination information, like
the name of the city or local tourist attraction. This secondary
information I've been putting in a towards tag. I would also like to
separate the name into a root and a directional component. e.g.
[snip]
This seems overly complex. The reason for including the text is so routers can tell the driver to take the exit marked [foo]. What benefit is there in separating street names/route numbers from other destinations?

Routers and renderers are not the only consumers. I'm trying to get the data modeled correctly. Logically, the name is the important part. If necessary, for reasons of speed or space, the towards part can be eliminated. If exit numbers are unimportant to a particular consumer, they can be eliminated to. That is the point of breaking it up into multiple fields. As far as complexity, it seems quite simple to speak "take " + iif($ref != "", "exit " + $ref + ", ", "") + $exit_to + iif($towards != ""," towards " + $towards, "").

... along with changing obvious km/h to mph issues.

Did you affect only interstates with this? I fixed a bunch of the obvious ones some months ago, but "40" was a problematic ambiguity.

How do we ask the renderers to recognize the new schema?

Why would we want the default rendering to display exit_to? The whole point of the change was so the renderer will know whether the interchange has a name to display.

My point is that the exits in So Cal are known by those values that were in the name field, and were rendered correctly on the maps. Those _are_ the names of the exits. Now, only the exit number (which few people use), is rendered, and the map has become less useful. I didn't see anybody object to the names being rendered. This started as a semantics issue, and it was then mentioned by user ponzu that there was some problem with Skobbler.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>