At 2011-04-07 13:31, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
On 4/7/2011 4:09 PM, Alan Mintz wrote:
"Exit 183 / SR-247 South / Barstow Road"
is tagged
ref="183" +
exit_to="CA-247;Barstow Road" +
exit_dir="South;"

Does anyone have examples of places where my suggested model does not work?

It's not backwards-compatible with anything that uses exit_to. To get the text of the sign you have to piece together the exit_to and exit_to_dir fields.

It's the way it was done with the street name split a while back, though I acknowledge that it isn't an identical situation, since we ultimately decided the direction was not part of the street name. In this case, the direction is an important part.

I would not be averse to something like:

exit_to="CA-247 South"

OR

exit_to_root="CA-247"
exit_to_dir="South"

Consumers that have evolved can use the second form if it is found, or the first if it is not. Older consumers can use the first form. Users that choose not to use the second form can use the first form and it will work with both old and new consumers.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>