On Sat, 28 May 2011 23:00:11 -0400, Anthony wrote:

Instead of giving me hypothetical if..then answers, can you give me a
straightforward answer?

You're trying to get an exact answer to something that isn't an exact science, so no. I'm allowing for the fact that there may be a situation in which trunk should be applied to a two lane road because not doing so would misrepresent the area to viewers of the map and routing engines more than not using it would. I don't have personal experience with every road in the US, after all. In the cases I've personally seen, I think the roads could have been adequately described with primary.

Obviously, my preference would be that trunk only be used for roads with more than two lanes and a barely-existent shoulder, but barring that I would like it to mean 'very important road that is not a motorway.'

And yes, as it presently stands, a routing engine would probably be better off using the two foot shorter primary than the two foot longer trunk, given that we have a bunch of roads tagged as trunk that are no more suitable for long distance travel than most roads tagged as primary.