On 5/29/2011 2:30 AM, Nathan Mills wrote:
I think that trunk is more useful if it's prescriptive, more along the
lines of a motorway than primary and below. If we aren't going to do
that, we need to come up with another value for highway and get it
rendered by default. It's something that map users expect, and we should
therefore deliver.

How many maps actually show these with a separate symbol, though? Looking through my 1990s road atlases, AAA and National Geographic (MapQuest) simply modify the symbol, keeping the color of the two-lane segments, while Rand McNally and Gousha (RIP) use one symbol for all divided highways, no matter how important (in Orlando, this includes Colonial, 17-92, OBT, and Michigan). (All four count center turn lanes as medians - see South OBT.) Unless you're proposing to mark all divided highways, rural and urban, as trunk, map users accustomed to road atlases won't expect your criteria.

Perhaps the best way to handle it would be to render a wider line if oneway=yes and not lanes=1 or if oneway=no/unset and lanes=4 or more. Thus divided highways would not need a lane count to be wider, but undivided roads would need to be tagged as having four lanes.