Wanted to make sure talk-us gets this message from a non-member of talk-us.
:)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Turner <nova...@novalis.org>
Date: Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: highway=cycleway or highway=path
To: osm-...@googlegroups.com
Cc: talk-us@openstreetmap.org, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org>

Hi!  I'm a developer on OpenTripPlanner, and I'm writing to clarify
things for talk-us members who may not be familiar with the
OpenTripPlanner project.  I hope my mail will go through as I am not a
member of talk-us.

OTP is a multi-modal router, supporting bikes, pedestrians, and public
transit.  It can even do cool things like letting you bike to a bus
station and then put it on a bus, in awesome cities like Portland which
allow this.

Like any router, OTP requires clear rules for whether a cyclist or a
pedestrian may use a way.  But OTP does not restrict what tags are used
to define these rules.  That is configurable on a per-install basis.
So, if Portland are OSM editors decide that highway=cycleway means
bicycles and pedestrians can use the way, that's totally cool.
Meanwhile, if in some other area (San Diego, say) highway=cycleway means
strictly bicycles only, then OTP users in San Diego can configure their
version that way.

tl;dr: make any locally consistent decision based one what's best for
the map and don't panic about OTP.