As the person that just got done labelling each TX state highway, I'll chime in
here with some comments.

For the network tag, I think that the labelling should be (country : state
network : network within the state : subnetwork in state), while the ref is
JUST the number for that highway.  So:

US:I -> Interstate
US:I:BUS -> Business Interstate
US:US -> US Route
US:US:BUS -> Business US Route
US:US:ALT:BUS -> Business Alt US Route
US:TX -> Texas State Highway
US:TX:FM -> Farm to Market
US:TX:RM -> Ranch To Market
US:TX:FM:Bus -> Business Farm to Market

Having been through most of the highways in TX at least, this works for all
that i've labelled, whether it's still that way or not.  I prefer to have the
final labels show the state abbreviation and number (TX 10) instead of generic
state labeling (SH 10) (TX has state highways, not state routes), but am
willing to work with either.  Once a useful mapping tiling appears that uses
state shields, this wont matter nearly as much.

Jason
25or6to4