On 8/24/2011 6:25 PM, Craig Hinners wrote:
FWIW, I agree with all of Jason's suggestions, below, for the
relation-level "network" tag values. It mirrors my thinking on the
matter exactly.

I disagree with putting alternate and business in the network. These modifiers are part of the designation, and some states (Arkansas in particular) treat them as lettered suffixes rather than separate plates.

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Use of ref-tag on state highways
    From: Jason Straub <strau...@yahoo.com <mailto:strau...@yahoo.com>>
    Date: Wed, August 24, 2011 3:37 pm
    To: "talk-us@openstreetmap.org <mailto:talk-us@openstreetmap.org>"
    <talk-us@openstreetmap.org <mailto:talk-us@openstreetmap.org>>

    As the person that just got done labelling each TX state highway,
    I'll chime in here with some comments.

    For the network tag, I think that the labelling should be (country :
    state network : network within the state : subnetwork in state),
    while the ref is JUST the number for that highway. So:

    US:I -> Interstate
    US:I:BUS -> Business Interstate
    US:US -> US Route
    US:US:BUS -> Business US Route