Towns appear at zoom level 9 in Mapnik, which seems pretty decent to me.
 There are tagged "towns" in SW Kansas that show up, but some "villages"
probably need retagging to "towns" in the N and W.  The Place page
recommends tagging county seats as towns regardless of population:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Place   I started "upgrading" some county
seats in NW MN to "town", which helps fill things in, I think:
http://osm.org/go/WprNC4--<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.299&lon=-96.132&zoom=9&layers=M>

<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.299&lon=-96.132&zoom=9&layers=M>Brad