Yeah, I typically use a landuse=residential/name=* polygon for
apartment complexes. When I search for my address in nominatim it
correctly says that it is a child element of the surrounding apartment
complex.

But I guess the original point might still stand. It may not be
appropriate to tag an entire new subdivision as landuse=residential if
it includes shopping or business areas along with housing that are all
part of a named area within a city. Not sure place=development is the
best tag for that but as Richard says, that isn't really part of the
rendering brainstorm this thread is supposed to be.

Toby