I too agree that the same Way should be used for waterway=river and
boundary=administrative whenever the boundary is defined by the river.
 That Way should also be added to a relation for the boundary.  If the
river has changed course, but the boundary remains in the prior
location, then the map should be updated at that point to make two
separate Ways.

Having nodes and ways on top of (or really close to) each other is
generally much more difficult to edit.