On 10/15/11 2:17 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
On 10/15/2011 1:57 PM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
I too agree that the same Way should be used for waterway=river and
boundary=administrative whenever the boundary is defined by the river.
  That Way should also be added to a relation for the boundary.  If the
river has changed course, but the boundary remains in the prior
location, then the map should be updated at that point to make two
separate Ways.

I only agree when the boundary is actually defined by the feature. The obvious counterexample is a road along a border. The border is either defined by location, and the road was built along the border for ease in acquiring land, or the border is actually defined by the road, but it's unlikely that even a very minor realignment of the road (e.g. smoothing a curve) will result in the border moving.
now for parts 2 & 3 of this issue:

if we have multiple versions of the boundary from different sources, what selection
criteria are in order?

the border between Warren and Washington Counties in upstate NY is legally
specified for much of its length as the eastern shore of Lake George.

the current county boundary is in part based on USGS, but parts of it have
been edited, in particular a chuck of the lake shore has been traced from
aerial imagery. the tracing is pretty good, but the USGS sourced boundary
is not (we are all familiar with the weaknesses of the USGS county boundaries,
i hope.)

i have three alternatives i could import and work with:

1) the simplified county boundary from Tiger 2000. this is mostly pretty good, except along the lake shore, i'd want to use an alternative version of the lakeshore
with this.

2) the county boundary from Tiger 2010. this one has a lot of nodes along the lake shore. simplification might be in order, but then, the lakeshore is the lakeshore
after all.

3) the lakeshore portion from NHD, which also has a lot of nodes, which could be
combined with either 1) or 2)

part 3, of course, is simplification. both 2) and 3) above have a lot of nodes. do we have any criteria stated anywhere about when simplification is in order,
and what the target is when it is done?

richard