> Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:42 AM
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Combining State/County Borders & Physical
> Features?
>
> part 3, of course, is simplification. both 2) and 3) above have a lot of
> nodes.
> do we have any criteria stated anywhere about when simplification is in
> order,
> and what the target is when it is done?
>
> richard

In the past when simplifying streams I've used JOSM with max-error set to
1.5, which I believe is in meters. For UBC buildings I used max-error=.1

In the first case I wasn't losing any accuracy since the ways were often off
by more than 1.5m. In the second case I was losing accuracy, but the import
source was too detailed.