On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 5:46 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>>
>> I suspect they mean "is it safe to walk in the street"
>

> Good luck defining this.

I think it's solvable fairly easily on the micro-scale - liberally use
sidewalk tags (or map the footways) and have the routing algorithm
penalize foot traffic on highway >= unclassified (presumably the
routes with most traffic) without sidewalk=yes|left|right, and really
penalize highway >= unclassified & sidewalk=no.  No need to get into
wrangling over perceived pedestrian-friendliness.

Or if you want to be really "objective" you could also try to merge in
AADT data for Hamilton County from TDOT/MPO and factor that in as a
penalty for ped routing.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lordsu...@gmail.com>