What to model as discrete ways has always struck me as a gray area in the OSM model.

I'm of the opinion that, at locations where traffic may not or can not transfer from one linear flow to another, the flows should be modelled as discrete ways.

The reason for the inability to transfer between flows should not be a determining factor in deciding what to model as separate ways. If I can't transfer between flows, I want to know that; whether the reason for being unable to transfer is stripes of paint or a 10 foot tall concrete barrier or a median of weeds and dirt is not germane.