>> [Richard] Clearly these evil paint-separated commuter lanes are a gateway
>> way to one-area-per-lane micro-mapping. [...]
> [Paul] I'm not seeing how the slippery slope argument applies [...]

Nor am I.

Choosing to model distinct, disparate, and incompatible traffic flows as
a single flow when they are separated by paint, but as discrete flows
when they are separated by anything other than paint, strikes me as an
inconsistency for a traffic flow model.

I'd also like to defend the concept of a single-way-per-lane model as a
noble goal rather than a pedantic endeavor. There are useful concepts
that I'd like to convey that I cannot, due to the current
multiple-lanes-per-way model. While acknowledging the cost (in time and
effort) of implementing it, I'd submit that a single-way-per-lane model
is the penultimate model of traffic flow.