* Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> [2012-04-02 09:18 -0400]:
> On 4/2/2012 8:25 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
> >Business and similar variants are expected to be in the network tag,
> >since that's the closest thing I've seen to a consensus on the topic.
>
> You know that MapQuest's rendering expects the ref tag to contain
> the modifier, right?

As far as I can tell, MapQuest is basing their rendering entirely on the
ref= tag on ways.  That's certainly what their stylesheets at
https://github.com/MapQuest/MapQuest-Mapnik-Style do; those don't look at
route relations at all.  I can't be completely authoritative on this,
since those stylesheets don't appear to have any cases for rendering
business shields, so they're probably out of date with respect to the
current MapQuest rendering.

It seems likely, however, that they're still extracting their data from
the ways' ref= tags, so our rendering is in a different category.

--- --
  "I just had a bad day."
  "Well, join the club."
  "Can I be president?"
  "I'm president.  You can be the janitor."
                       -- Buffy and Dawn (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "No
                          Place Like Home")