On 4/2/2012 11:40 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
On 4/2/2012 11:17 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
* Nathan Edgars II<nerou...@gmail.com> [2012-04-02 09:18 -0400]:
On 4/2/2012 8:25 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
Business and similar variants are expected to be in the network tag,
since that's the closest thing I've seen to a consensus on the topic.

You know that MapQuest's rendering expects the ref tag to contain
the modifier, right?

As far as I can tell, MapQuest is basing their rendering entirely on the
ref= tag on ways.

Yes, as far as I know. But since the modifier appears after the number
("US 1 Alternate") it's clearly part of the 'ref' part of the ref rather
than the network. Doing something different on relations will only
confuse people.

Actually, is there a reason it can't support both? (This sort of flexibility could also be used, for example, when an Interstate relation has the "I " in the ref, such as most of I-80, and to process any network=US:FL:CR:* as a county road.)