On 4/2/2012 11:17 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
* Nathan Edgars II<nerou...@gmail.com>  [2012-04-02 09:18 -0400]:
On 4/2/2012 8:25 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
Business and similar variants are expected to be in the network tag,
since that's the closest thing I've seen to a consensus on the topic.

You know that MapQuest's rendering expects the ref tag to contain
the modifier, right?

As far as I can tell, MapQuest is basing their rendering entirely on the
ref= tag on ways.

Yes, as far as I know. But since the modifier appears after the number ("US 1 Alternate") it's clearly part of the 'ref' part of the ref rather than the network. Doing something different on relations will only confuse people.