On 4/8/2012 10:27 AM, Craig Hinners wrote:
Chris Lawrence<lordsu...@gmail.com>:
modifier=* would represent MUTCD-type banners attached to the shield

This is the first I've heard of this tag. I don't recall it being
discussed when we were hashing ideas around on this last summer. (Not
that that is reason to discount it.)

But what came out of that discussion was the following guidance: "ref"
will store "the unique identifier within a particular classification",
where "particular classification" is stored wholly in the "network" tag.

So, "network=US:US:Business"/"ref=13" and "network=US:US:Truck"/"ref=70"
both conform to that definition.
"network=US:US"/"modifier=Business"/"ref=13" does not.

On the other hand, network=US:US ref=13 Business does.