On 4/11/2012 7:23 PM, Phil! Gold wrote:
We're putting the shield images in the public domain (well, we're putting
them under a CC0 waiver, which amounts to the same thing semantically), so
I don't think the "Kentucky Unbridled" image would be compatible with
that.

You might have a problem with some other toll roads, depending on whether the designs pass the threshold of originality (and whether any signs were posted sans copyright notice before 1989). (You also would have had a problem with the Trans-Canada Highway if you were doing this 5 years ago, but Crown copyright on the logo expired in 2009 at the latest.) Normal state route shields should all be public domain per the MUTCD introduction.