At 2012-05-04 15:52, Martijn van Exel wrote:
I do agree that there's an opportunity for crowdsourcing in cadastral surveying, but we should be approaching that very carefully and in the right order. First examine the legal implications of letting the world at large have r/w access to cadastral parcel geometry. Then bring government and OSM folks together to sort out if and how OSM could be a platform. And then import and conflate data. As far as I know, nothing tangible has been done to complete steps 1 and 2, and here we are discussing step three. I don't think it's quite time for that yet.

I'm interested in having that discussion, but we do need some common ground about what and for whom OSM is.

...and we need to examine what our existing user tools and server processing and storage resources are and how they can handle the amount of data desired before just blindly throwing many times the existing data size at them. In Bakersfield, the building outlines and some landuse and other objects inflated the data size by ~1000%.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>