Jeff Meyer wrote
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Serge Wroclawski <

> emacsen@

> > wrote:
>
> What is stopping these this from happening without a committee?

Probably nothing. Although a committee might not strictly be necessary, it
can give an additional boost of motivation and sense of responsibility to
get through times when the work is necessary but less rewarding. It can also
make things easier (better defined) for people with data to approach the
committee rather than random individuals.

But really, from the OSMF committees I have worked on, they are mostly just
a bunch of people that would be doing things anyway now meet regularly on
irc instead of on an random and adhoc basis. So it really doesn't make much
of a difference and so if it helps with motivation, one might as well.

Overall, I think it is a great idea. It seems clear that in general the US
community is in favor and is (and has been) going down the direction of
large scale imports. As imports are technically challenging and difficult,
it is great to see if technically capable people deeply routed in the
community take charge of the import process to ensure that they are done to
the highest technical standard, instead of just standing on the sidelines
and complaining that imports are bad and leaving the imports to people who
are less familiar with the community standards and tools doing it anyway.
Which leads to the poor execution of imports we have unfortunately seen so
often in the past.

Kai