On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> wrote:

> I wonder if it time to accept that we are unable to reach a consensus.

On what issue are we unable to reach a consensus? The original
proposer, Martijn, after reading the arguments put forth, has decided
he agrees with both Ian and myself.

> Can we agree to let the local community decide which way to proceed?

They are in
> the best position to know the issues surrounding neighborhood borders.
> There didn't seem to be any show-stoppers in the arguments for
> nodes/polygons.

There were several issues brought up. The issues brought up were:

1. The idea that in many neighborhoods around the country, everything
about these neighborhoods is subjective, and largely driven by opinion
and real estate agents.

2. Neighborhoods don't have clear boundries, so polygons were a poor fit.

3. OSM is not a good place for non-observable data of any sort.

4. There is not a way to have "consensus" on a neighborhood boundary
because of its subjective nature. Two individuals may share entirely
differing views and both have equal "correctness", since it's a matter
of opinion.

5. Places can, and often are part of multiple neighborhoods, and OSM's
place classification system doesn't handle this.

6. Nodes are bad substitutes for polygons because one can only assume
that a node's idea of an "area" corresponds to a radius, which isn't
the case in  many cases.

7. There are wonderful tools and existing datasets which OSMers can
use to capture this same information.

OSM is not entirely built around consensus, but I'm concerned because
I don't know how you can measure "the local community" in its opinion.

I'm also a bit concerned when the idea of community consensus is
thrown out the window for total localism. While I agree that sometimes
things should be done without every single member of the community
approving, we should strive for larger community building when
possible.

- Serge