> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:15:02 -0400
> From: phi...@pobox.com
> To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] ref tags
>
> * Clay Smalley <claysmal...@gmail.com> [2013-06-20 09:26 -0700]:
> > Also, even if it were the case that they were the same network, it makes
> > sense to keep them separate because that is how the shield renderer
> > determines which shield to put on the road.
>
> My shield renderer is pretty flexible.  I can assign shields on a
> ref-by-ref basis, if need be (though it means that networks' shields
> require more maintenance in the long run).[0]  As long as the solution
> has local consensus I'll find a way to work with it.[1]
>
> [0] See, for example, Georgia route 515, which gets a blue sign because
>     it's part of an Appalachian Highway Development System corridor:
>

> http://elrond.aperiodic.net/shields/?zoom=12&lat=34.66561&lon=-84.48668&layers=B
>
> [1] Or throw up my hands and say, "I don't know how to handle that," but
>     that shouldn't impede consensus.  There are still a bunch of things I
>     don't have a good way to handle yet, like the way Tennessee does
>     primary and secondary state highways, or the way Maryland signs
>     Business US Highways.

 Well, for the Tennessee State Highways, as long as we can find out which are
"secondary", we could tag them in the relations as "US:TN:SR" or
"US:TN:Secondary" and then use a Super relation to tie together routes that
have segments with both primary and secondary segments types.  The kicker is
how to find out which segments are which.  I don't know if TDOT has any GIS
data out there to download that would be compatible with OSM that would allow
us to figure out which is which. -James