When you start getting to the level of information not actually on the grave
marker, not to mention information about people known to be buried in the
cemetery, but whose grave markers are missing or no longer legible, it makes
sense to have this information in a separate database rather than in OSM
itself.  I am on the board of a small historical society that maintains an old
cemetery.  Many of the graves once had cypress-wood markers, as the local stone
doesn't weather well, and marble or metal markers were expensive. An
early-twentieth-century grass fire destroyed the wooden markers, so we now
don't know exactly whom is in the majority of the graves.

Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:
> On 7/29/2013 10:49 AM, Thomas Colson wrote:
> > _Is this even an appropriate use of OSM?_ I have a cemetery mapping
> >   project with LOTS of good data, pondering the best way to publish
> it….
>
>  I would say - yes.  To me the considerations lie in how much data to
> include: Everything on the stone?   Local information about the
> person?
>   Additional knowledge from historians and sextons?
>
> On a related note, this subject came up for me a few weeks ago.  Mark
> Gray had given a lightning talk on this subject at SOTM US 2010
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_U.S._2010 .  I was
>
> thinking of starting with a single waypoint, which can be very
> accurate
> after multiple averaging, multiple readings at different times of day,
>
> etc.   Then using a rig for highly accurate headstone location
> readings
> relative to the reference point, which could be converted to
> GeoLocation
> coordinates.    I couldn't find any simple, low cost way to do this
> with
> a quick Internet search.   Are there Smartphone apps that can do this
> with the help of their accelerometer?  Some other type of hardware?

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to
think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria