On 10/17/2013 1:03 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
hmmm. we're using exit_to (i think) for off ramps, maybe we need
entrance_to for on ramps

the value would be more or less exactly the text visible on the
signage.

This makes the most sense to me as the solution for the specific use case Martijn is asking about, where the tag value will be used as the basis for generating directions which the user will expect to be consistent with signage. The directional tag on a wayfinding sign at the motorway entrance may or may not correspond to the bannered direction of the route or route segment.

If my GPS tells me to "turn right at the entrance to East Interstate Whatever" and the sign says "North Interstate Whatever," I'm going to be confused and wonder if I'm actually making the correct turn. Even more so if it's a printed list of directions.

Being able to include control cities as well as cardinality is a nice bonus, also.

FWIW, I have in the past typically done one relation for both directions with the bannered cardinal direction in the segments' role tag, if it is bannered, or forward/reverse otherwise. I settled on that for my own work because it plays well with non-motorways that are sometimes divided and sometimes not. There's not really any logical reason two relations and a super relation couldn't be used in that scenario. It just seems somehow less elegant to me to have the extra relations when most of the route is undivided.

-Nathan