From: lordsu...@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:59:58 -0400
To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Freeway directions

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhau...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>From
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_System#Primary_.28one-_and_two-digit.29_routes_.28contiguous_U.S..29
> :

"In the numbering scheme, east-west highways are assigned even numbers
and north-south highways are assigned odd numbers. Odd route numbers
increase from west to east, and even-numbered routes increase from south
 to north (to avoid confusion with the U.S. Highways, which increase
from east to west and north to south), though there are exceptions to
both principles in several locations."Field signage is sometimes inconsistent
with the official rules; for example, US 68 is mostly (entirely?) signed
north-south, and I-69 becomes east-west between Lansing and Port Huron.  States
may have their own rules; some states (MS, FL) follow the even-odd rules that
the national routes do, some use an opposite pattern (even N-S, odd E-W), and
some have no pattern at all (GA, TN).

There are also cases of signage by loop nesting ("inner" clockwise/"outer"
counterclockwise for RHD) - I-495 around Washington and I-440 around Raleigh NC
are examples, along with GA 10 Loop around Athens GA. And in Canada the QEW is
"directionally" signed by destination (Toronto on the clockwise carriageway,
Niagara and then Fort Erie on the counterclockwise one). There may be a few
more oddballs I've missed.

IMO preferred practice should be a relation for each continuous cardinal
direction, to keep validation simple; undivided roads should use
forward/backward roles to distinguish which relation applies to the underlying
way's forward/backward traversal. It shouldn't be too terribly hard to come up
with an algorithm to fixup the existing single-relation cases, particularly for
the ones where the routes are entirely dual carriageway, although occasionally
the heuristics will be wrong and need a manual edit.

Chris