Yes, sorry for not being clearer. As Ian indicates, this is the
*signposted cardinal direction* of a numbered road route, which does
not change with the actual compass direction of the road. The guiding
principle for the United States is that the odd numbered Interstates
are north/south, and the even numbered Interstates are east/west. This
is independent from the local compass direction. So for example, I-80
is east-west, but runs almost north-south locally (for example here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/203317481) but the sign would
still say 'I-80 East' (or West as the case may be).

So the relation between the east--west and north--south member roles
is equivalent to the relation between forward--backward.

Because the cardinal direction is commonly included on the road signs
(see example http://www.aaroads.com/west/new_mexico010/bl-010_eb_at_i-010.jpg)
this information is useful in the U.S. (and Canadian) context as a
drop in replacement for the traditional forward / backward role
members.

Hope this clarifies somewhat!
Martijn

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:30:25PM -0700, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm new to this list so please bear with me.
>> > The relation editor currently only parses 'forward' and 'backward'
>> > roles when considering the visual representation in the rightmost
>> > column. In the United States, north/south and east/west are very
>> > common as member roles for road routes, because that is how they are
>> > officially signposted.
>>
>> I would be very careful in using this. Is this really "south" e.g.
>> 180° ? Or is it more like 99° ? Or 269° ?
>>
>> Most streets are not strictly on the 90° raster and signposts are
>> only rough directions.
>>
>> Addings this to OSM might make it much more difficult for Data Consumers
>> to process and interpret data.
>

> No, these aren't compass directions. They're the directionality of the road.
> For example, this way is part of the I-94 interstate going west, but a
> compass in a car driving on it would tell the viewer they were pointing
> north:

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/