Other examples of weird route designators include Arizona's "Loop 101" and
"Loop 202" freeways in Maricopa County (Greater Phoenix). They are state
highways, 100% freeways (probably), one around metro PHX and the other
around the East Valley (Tempe/Mesa etc.).   Like James I think that the
route designator and the directionality are two completely different
things.  So I would imagine "Loop 101" in the way ref and directionality in
the relation role.  Sadly although I live there half the time I can't
recall how the loops are directionally posted right now, but I can take a
look later next week.

Peter