However, with the split Interstates (I-35W/I-35E in both TX and MN &
I-69E/I-69C/I-69W in TX) & US Highways (and a few state highways), the letters
are part of the route number.  So, they wouldn't have any effect on the "role"
part for relations.  When given routing info, they'd act just like their
non-lettered siblings.

"Turn left onto Northbound I-35E on-ramp" or something similar.

Also, I don't know why some people put the letter as a "modifier" in some of
the relations[1].  Maybe we could also remove that line (since the ref line has
the proper number still) when we convert everything to the cardinal directions.

-James

[1] - http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/416519