I would say the primary use of address data in OSM is geocoding, not mail
delivery. There may be legitimate differences between a street name and the
address of a house along that street but abbreviations are not a legitimate
difference. The Census Bureau also has a list of 503 "official"
abbreviations[1]. Which one should we use?

The answer is: Neither. It is always easier to go from full names to
abbreviations for display than to go the other way around. (See Mapquest
tiles - they abbreviate street names) Therefore we should always store
things un-abbreviated. No ambiguity, no questions about which list of
abbreviations, no one making their own abbreviations. Everything is
explicit.

[1]
https://github.com/ToeBee/ogr2osm-translations/blob/master/tiger2012_abbrv.csv

Toby