On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 21:10 +0000, Elliott Plack wrote:
> Interesting about the Buck Act, however, the only info I could find
> about this oddity is from some websites written by conspiracy
> theorists, anti-government types, etc. Still, it would be in keeping
> with our practice of discouraging the use of abbreviations elsewhere
> in addresses. It would be very easy for a machine or renderer to
> abbreviate full state names down to USPS postal abbreviations, AP
> style guide abbreviations, or any other custom abbreviation.

In the case of US state and Canadian province abbreviations, there is a
1:1 correspondence with no ambiguity. Elsewhere this may or may not be
the case. That said, using the USPS abbreviations in the US makes the
most sense to me, as that is the format most of us who mail things with
any regularity are used to writing and seeing addresses in. I realize
it's an exception to the "don't abbreviate" rule but it does make some
sense at least to me.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com>