My initial reaction to any automated edit is to break out in a rash.
Can we use that image to promote mapping best practices?  :-)

Goal: A new local mapper in each BadHamlet

Method:

1) Create an overlay that displays the hamlets as ugly, rash-like
spots.  It could even be a "rash" that allows checkouts a la tasking
manager.

2) Encourage mappers to do outreach in each spot.
- Mapper in Oregon sees that there is a BadHamlet in Massachusetts,
adjacent to their old hometown / alma mater / vacation spot.  Mapper
reaches out to their old classmates / colleagues / neighbours to find
one or more new mappers in / near that hamlet.

3) New mapper fixes the BadHamlet and starts mapping their favourite
restaurants, bowling alleys and coffee shops.

Benefits:

We get new local, mappers, in areas that aren't getting as much
attention as they might.

Mappers have a fun reason to reach out to folks they might not have
contacted recently.incorrect hamlet

Mappers have the opportunity to do some fun outreach to potential new
mappers for the first time.

Results:

The BadHamlets get fixed.

Potential objections:

"Outreach is too hard, a mechanical edit is way faster."
"I don't like outreach, I want to use software tools."
"That will take forever."