On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:40 AM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for another TIGER tool.  I used it to look at some areas and made
> changes.  The map reminds me of another map that MapBox produced several
> years ago using a slider tool.
> Useful features:
> * Timely updates.  The old slider map was never updated and lost value
> after a couple of edits.  Oh! I see that my edits showed up.  The problem
> is how do you remove the yellow TIGER data?

Yea..... this is on my far-out backlog. A live (or daily) updated TIGER
diff map, ideally at first showing only major roads.

> * iD, Potlach, JOSM, remote control features.

What do you mean by that?

> Interesting problems:
> * The Census staff got the news of "sub-prime rate" subdivisions.  These
> were plated but are still farmland.  It is too early to try and map the
> subdivision.
> * I added a "sub-prime rate" subdivision that had the grading in place
> with construction tags.  The existing Tiger layers provided the names.
> * I found some areas that had explosive growth.  I recall adding the areas
> because of interesting buildings, etc.  The TIGER data still shows roads
> that have been removed via new development.  For example a new commercial
> area has yellow TIGER roads going through a building.
> *  The false positives that I saw were related to "new construction"--well
> it is several years old now.  An area was developed.  All the existing
> roads were removed and folded into the new development. The yellow lines
> remaining were, say, between the secondary road and the first road of the
> subdivision.  The yellow road may have been the original alignment of the
> secondary or possibly a farm road.

Yup. We're cautious and trust the TIGER data only where it coincides w/
imagery and there we trace off the imagery and don't just take the TIGER
data. Sometimes you run into situations where you just don't know whether
TIGER's right or the imagery (a lot of imagery is pretty old on Bing) - in
these cases we just don't touch the data, maybe drop a note.

There are also many places where TIGER is just flat out behind - an
opportunity for community and government to work more closely together.