Serge - Thanks for the detailed response!  I think I do recall seeing your
blog post in the past, but I reread it now and your concerns - especially
"who decides what gets shown on the map" - very much resonate with me.

Paul - If perception of mapping in the US isn't aligning with reality, we
probably *do* need to do a better job as a chapter board of telling the
full story. I see what you mean about the blog posts, though I do think
your interpretation is a bit harsh. For example, the mapathon post that you
characterize as an "indoor event," while it does admittedly have a photo of
people at computers, also makes it clear that the theme for the upcoming
mapathon is "the great outdoors."  Eventually, most people do enter the
data they collect in the field into the OSM while at a computer, and as a
mapathon organizer, I don't always remember to take good "action shot"
photos.  Rather than assume no one set foot outdoors, why not assume that
no one remembered to stop mapping to take a photo, because mapping outdoors
is really fun?

I also hope you'll keep in mind that conferences involve a lot of logistics
which need to be communicated - for example, our amazing SOTM US
scholarship program required two posts (to announce availability and to
announce winners).  While a mapathon can be a success without a blog post
(though we probably *should* write more blog posts), a scholarship program
will not get applicants or donors without a moderate level of publicity.

Finally, to lighten things up, here is a photo of a kitten and a Field
Papers atlas pre-mapathon.

https://twitter.com/eleanortutt/status/583729143822450689

Thanks!
Eleanor