On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 2:55 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The events are characterized as "Edit-a-thons" and they were designed
> to be run indoors. They were essentially a response from some members
> of the community who felt that Mapping Parties were not for them. The
> advantage of an Edit-A-Thon is that they can be run indoors (unlike
> Mapping Parties), but if you look at most Edit-A-Thons going on next
> week, and you look at the history of them (look at the talk-us
> archives) they're still largely indoor events.

#editathons are #mapathons since last summer and they've since at least a
year and a half now explicitly encouraged people to go outside - not least
because of your feedback Serge:

June 2013
"Rather want to go outside and survey? Nothing should stop you from that."
http://openstreetmap.us/2013/06/july-summer-editathon/

In June 2014 we renamed 'editathons' to 'mapathons' to clarify: go out and
survey!
http://openstreetmap.us/2013/07/why-editathons/

I would also love to see a foot survey activity at StateOfTheMap.us in NYC
in June. I know my OSM US board colleagues Martijn and Alyssa are talking
to some people about this. If anyone here on this list is interested in
help lead a foot survey at State of the Map US, get in touch:
sot...@openstreetmap.us .

--
Alex Barth
Vice President