It is my understanding that when you see a CalTrans “Begin Freeway” sign it is
indicating the section ahead is free of cross traffic (no intersections without
grade separation and on/off ramps). That is, freeway implies limited access.
And when you see a “End Freeway” sign there will be possible cross traffic
ahead. Driving south on US 101 from Salinas there are numerous end/begin
freeway signs bracketing each area with possible cross traffic (often service
roads to farms that you’d never really notice without the help of those end
freeway signs). Last I checked, that section of US101 is largely tagged as
trunk which makes sense to me even though when driving it you are inclined to
think of it as a freeway.

I believe that as long as there is at least a solid barrier between opposing
traffic and access is limited to slip/link/ramp ways then that section is
classified as a freeway by CalTrans.

On the other hand, there is a nearly 40 mile sections of CA152 between Casa De
Fruita and I-5 which at either end have miles of limited access but which I
think are offically non-freeway (tagged as trunk in OSM). So it could be that
the length of the limited access section is taken into consideration by
CalTrans when deciding to put up a “begin freeway” sign.

Cheers,
Tod