This issue has been brought up in the AARoads forum in addition to on talk-us.
It is the general consensus of the AARoads members that fully controlled access
highways should be tagged as motorway, and that roads with a mix of full and
partial controlled access segments are not as a whole partial controlled access
highways – the segments that clearly have fully controlled access should still
be tagged as “motorway.”
I have also stated in the past, and will re-iterate again, that I believe that
*any* fully-controlled access roadway should be tagged as motorway, including
fully controlled access super-2 and super-4 roadways.
As to what constitutes a fully controlled access segment of roadway, that can
sometimes be a judgement call. In the current situation, it has been noted that
WSDOT has cleanly delineated between the fully controlled and partially
controlled segments of WA 500 with signage and on maps. Taking an example from
my home turf, KS 7: between Olathe and Bonner Springs, the road alternates
between at-grade interchanges and interchanges. There is no signage to
indicated that controlled access is beginning or ending, and KDOT maps do not
show and difference between fully controlled and partially controlled 4-lane
non-interstates. My rule of thumb is usually at least three grade separations,
two if I know there are future plans to convert nearby at-grade intersections
to grade seperations. There are four interchanges at 119th Street, College
Blvd, K-10, and Prairie Star Parkway north of Olathe, followed by a private
at-grade, an interchange at 83rd, and a restricted access at-grade at 75th
(left and right turns permitted onto 75th, traffic on 75th can only turn right
onto K-7). North of 75th, there’s an interchange at Shawnee Mission Parkway, a
grade seperation with Clear Creek Parkway, and an recently completed
interchange at Johnson Drive. Past Johnson Drive, there are two signalized
at-grade intersections at 47th and 43rd Streets, followed by the Kansas River
bridge and two more interchanges at K-32 and at Nettleton Ave. North of
Nettleton, all intersections are at-grade except for State Avenue, which is a
six-ramp partial cloverleaf.
The 119th to Prairie Star Parkway segment clearly is a controlled access
segment, with 4 interchanges. Because 83rd Street is in between two at-grades,
that interchange is considered part of a partially controlled access segment
and is left as a trunk. The SMP/Johnson Drive segment only has two
interchanges, but with the Clear Creek Parkway separation between the two
interchanges, there is sufficient reason to mark this up as a controlled access
segment. The K-32/Nettleton interchanges are a little more marginal, but KDOT
does have future plans to add additional interchanges farther north. Therefore,
I’m allowing it to be marked as motorway. If there wasn’t any serious plan to
replace any adjacent at-grade intersections with interchagnes, I would have
kept it as trunk.
As to the loss of lane data on WA 500, jakeroot has reviewed his edits and has
stated on AARoads that his removal of the lane data was inadvertant. He does
appear to support a revert in order to restore the lane data; however, he is
among those that believe the controlled access segments of WA 500 should be
tagged as motorway, as noted above.
Richie Kennedy, McLouth KS
OSM/fb/Twitter: route56
www.route56.com