I've reached out directly and began conversations with Dan after reading this
article. Good to hear from Alan too.
My view on the way forward in this particular situation.
* Decide on reasonable tagging. Agree that some use of "access" seems most
appropriate (maybe access=social?)* Get Caliparks rendering recognizing this
tagging* Make the switch on OSM from social_path* Discuss how to better
represent these on main OSM rendering, and other rendering. They should be
rendered, but look different from official trails.
Beyond this, there's a huge opportunity and lots of interesting issues
regarding mapping in parks. Imagine a single map of every park in the US, or in
the world. There's a lot to get into about how park managers and the public see
parks, park data and park maps. Think OSM is the best place to do it!
-Mikel * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:20 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com>
wrote:

 On Thu, 2016-03-24 at 13:59 -0700, Alan McConchie wrote:
> It's true that the first comments on our changesets came 5 months ago,
> but in our defense, we haven't been tagging any additional social_path
> features since that time. We had always intended to seek input from
> the community to make this tag an officially recognized one, or to
> come up with an alternative solution. We were mindful that we didn't
> want to do a lot of editing before talking to the community, which is
> why we didn't do any further editing. In that sense, please think of
> those 17 features as an experiment to feed into the discussion that
> we're all having now.

I oppose the use of highway=social_path. There are better ways to
accomplish the same thing without breaking existing applications.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com>