On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 13:21:07 -0700
Dion Dock <dion_d...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I think the rural residential roads are either “highway=service”,
> “highway=track” or “highway=path”.  I think “highway=residential”
> should always have a name.  Service might or might not have a name,
> same for path and track.

You must be driving on a different set of roads than me.  Consider
South Bank Road (OSM:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/47.8602/-117.6751, Google:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8555045,-117.6814056,14z).  It doesn't
connect anywhere to anywhere, so it's not tertiary or above, but
"highway=service" doesn't seem appropriate for a road that provides
access to about a hundred scattered houses and two little-known parks,
and "highway=track" seems wrong for eight miles of paved two-lane
public road.

Or if that seems too built-up, how about Glenwood Road
(OSM:https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/46.9380/-117.2812,
Google: https://www.google.com/maps/@46.9391634,-117.2896051,14z).
Four miles of high-quality two-lane gravel road, providing access to
some farms and a home or two.

There's a definite need for a road level between "this is how you
travel from town A to town B" and "this is how you make your final
approach to your destination".  "highway=unclassified" seems like it
works well there.

--
Mark