On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:
> * highway=motorway: interstate or other long-distance restricted-access road
> * highway=trunk: fast, busy State Highway or US Highway, often NHS/STRAHNET
> * highway=primary: major State Highway or US Highway
> * highway=secondary: other State Highway or major County Road
> * highway=tertiary: other through route, often a County Road, usually paved
> with centreline
> * highway=unclassified: rural minor route, sometimes a County Road, paved
> unless tagged otherwise
> * highway=residential: minor public road intended for residential access
> rather than through route, paved unless tagged otherwise
>   (N.B. currently not safe to assume paved in rural areas where
> tiger:reviewed=no)
> * highway=track: ungraded or rough, but usable by some four-wheeled vehicles

Sounds close to what I've been doing. I don't recall whether I tagged
the road in question as 'unclassified' or 'track' without looking it
up, but I certainly added smoothness=very_bad, surface=compacted,
vehicle:conditional=no @ snow. It's a numbered and placarded county
highway, but seasonal and limited use, and I wouldn't take a car with
low ground clearance on it even in dry weather.