Albert Pundt wrote:
> This seems like a way overboard change.

I've just received a changeset message back from someone else who had made a
few unusual reclassifications, in this case highway=secondary for dirt roads
in Nebraska. The user explained that they had been working from this wiki
page:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Functional_Classification_System

which is a pretty misleading page for a newcomer to stumble upon, and
doesn't accord with common practice. The page was created by one user in
2009 and has barely been touched since.[1]

There are other very verbose pages:

    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging
    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Highway_tag_usage

and, of course, US information on international pages like
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence .

It would be really helpful if there were one single place where US common
practice was explained, succinctly (not like the verbal diarrhoea[2] on the
US Roads Tagging page) and unambiguously, and in a way that accords with
international usage in OSM. As an auslander it's not my job to do it, but
perhaps someone sensible on this list might like to?

Richard

[1] I've now added big messy warnings at the top of the page
[2] it does actually include the phrase "according to the criteria
heretofore described", which is marvellous