On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>
wrote:

> It would be really helpful if there were one single place where US common
> practice was explained, succinctly (not like the verbal diarrhoea[2] on the
> US Roads Tagging page) and unambiguously, and in a way that accords with
> international usage in OSM. As an auslander it's not my job to do it, but
> perhaps someone sensible on this list might like to?

Is there *anyone* that actually can speak to what *is* common practice
in the US? When I've asked, I've always drawn a lot of replies and come
away more confused than before.

Of course, a lot of what I map is in
a gray area where 'tertiary', 'residential', 'unclassified' and 'track'
tend to have blurred boundaries, and 4WD vehicles are strongly
recommended. The road where I'm parked in
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/14041171575 is a signed and
numbered county highway, but I couldn't bring myself to tag it
'tertiary'.