Its critical to know where the lat/longs came from. For example, if they came from Google Maps - then its a no go, because Google's licensing is incompatible with OSM. Their geocodes are not public domain, etc. Same thing applies to many / most other commercial geocoding services. If you don't know how the lat/longs were derived, then that is probably a show stopper as well.

Brian