On Thu, Apr 19, 2018, 16:41 Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> " I'm kind of thinking that the gravel surface in the wiki would be
> better redone as surface=ballast. "
>
> -1
>
> I hope you won't push for this.

I'm totally open to suggestions for alternatives.  Gravel certainly doesn't
describe that kind of coarse crushed rock to most people, but what do you
call that concisely?

In my experience, the only association the word "ballast" has with any sort
> of roadway is with railroads.

It is definitely a thing for pretty much any kind of improved road, though
there are some exceptions that usually turn out worse than unimproved.
Many paths in metro Portland were paved in asphalt without ballast and have
degraded rapidly as gophers have dug out the dirt under the asphalt
allowing the asphalt to collapse into the gopher tunnels over the years.
And generally, the more ballast under the surface, the heavier the loads
and higher the speed the road is capable of handling reasonably.

And, as I said before, the idea of actual railroad ballast being used as
> the surface of a road is totally foreign to me.

It is relatively rare, largely limited to agricultural and temporary
applications, at least in the US.