"Having little confidence that KDOT got it right, either" is exactly why I
didn't change the names:  let the locals (cities, counties, local
residents/citizens) hash this out as well as KDOT, if KDOT wants to get
involved.  For whatever reason, I've only seen these serious differences of
this magnitude in the state of Kentucky, lest the greater-in-US OSM community
suddenly panic that TIGER needs a major boost in fixing.  (I mean, let's STAY
busy cleaning up TIGER, but let's not panic that it is especially bad).

OK, TIGER data are "only fair to poor" in Kentucky.  I will say that.  I'm not
laying blame or pointing fingers, simply observing that entering route data
from a state DOT was frequently perplexing given the need to match highway
infrastructure of current TIGER data there.

SteveA
California

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 3:48 PM, Kerry Irons <irons54vor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We had the same experience in creating a RideWithGPS map and route log for
> USBR 21 in KY.  There are even places where a given road has two different
> spellings; you can tell it's the same road but the name spelling apparently
> is not agreed by the locals.  You learn to live with it.  While you would
> think that the KYTC names would be definitive, I have little confidence that
> that is true.
>

> Kerry
<remainder redacted for brevity>