Carl Anderson is correct:  what is in the map from TIGER about LSAD is true and
affords the possibly to derive geo data about incorporated entities (in some
cases, where they haven't been deleted), although the data (being somewhere
between 11 and 13 years old) may not be accurate, given annexations, etc.
However, OSM's community, through exhaustive consensus (much of it right here
on talk-us, many of these discussions are ref'd in a wiki I noted earlier)
agree that what the US Census Bureau says is not necessarily what OSM does or
should use to document such entities.  In other words, the Census Bureau is not
authoritative.  For what we agree to put into OSM, the OSM community's
consensus IS authoritative.  We have agreed that census boundaries of CDPs are
statistical, not administrative (what admin_level attempts to denote).  We
correctly document how to do this.  However, MUCH old TIGER data remain.

Martijn, your OT link is helpful, here is a visual version:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/DG5 (although that does not allow "census.gov" to
appear as often as your text-based version does, so thank you for that
formatting).  What this shows is that the importation of much Census Bureau
data as CDPs in Utah (and elsewhere in the USA) continues to have MUCH work to
do:  our wiki suggests admin_level=8 tag be removed from these, and the
boundary=administrative tag be changed to boundary=census.  This is correct, it
has achieved wide consensus in OSM (via these talk-us pages) and has been
documented in our wiki for some time.  And not simply in Utah, this is true in
all 50 states, except Alaska, where the state works closely with the Census
Bureau to "organize" (not in the legal sense) the Unorganized Borough of Alaska
(bigger than any other state, even Texas).  Carl offers a clever way for us to
sharpen up how we might do this:  choose admin_level=8 tagged relations which
have tiger:LSAD=57 (e.g. Mona, Utah), change boundary=administrative to
boundary=census, and delete the admin_level=8 tag.  Import script, anyone?
(Whew, that's a loaded question!)

However, I disagree with Martijn (or perhaps I do not understand his intention)
as he says about our US_admin_level wiki "United_States_admin_level is really
not correct... CDPs should be tagged boundary=census, ideally without an
admin_level=* tag."  I believe that IS a correct statement, it is simply that
Utah (and many other states, again, not Alaska) have never had this "clean up"
done.

Martijn's assertion that "state municipalities: cities, towns, villages and
hamlets (infrequent)” is an incorrect description of what we INTEND to denote
with admin_level=8 in the USA is also incorrect.  Simply said, hoary old TIGER
data contradicts this true statement on a fairly large scale, in Utah, yes, but
in most other states, too.

Let's not confuse what's in the map (from a noisy TIGER import) as correct,
when what really is correct is what we have achieved consensus about and
wiki-documented:  CDP data are boundary=census, not boundary=administrative
(and so, should have NO admin_level key, with any value).

And, I'd much rather have "too much" wiki than "not enough."  Wiki can be
ignored if too verbose, however, the consensus such wiki express is not easily
conjured.

Where I agree with Martijn is "I guess we have some work to do."  "Clean the
catbox" indeed!

SteveA
California